|Teaching (links activated when course is
Assistant Dean (Undergraduate Initiatives) of Science and Environmental Studies
Synthetic Inorganic Chemistry, with a focus on semiconducting materials
We are looking at a number of compounds called oligomers for the purpose of finding new semiconducting materials. Oligomers are short-chain polymers, in our case they contain less than 10 monomer units. Our research can be subdivided into a number of projects:
|Some recent group
members, picture from December 2013
l to r: Jennifer Steers, Michael Beh, Kaitlyn Kelly, CDM, Melissa Quance, Christine Boissy
15. D.N. D’Aleo, S.R. Allard, S.L.M. Parent, D.J. Rohr,
C. Gottardo, and C.D.
MacKinnon, “Green Halogenation of Aromatic Heterocycles
Using Ammonium Halide and Hydrogen Peroxide in Acetic Acid
Solvent,” Can. J. Chem. 2013, 91, 679-683.
14. W.M. Sears, C.D. MacKinnon, and T.M. Kraft, "The effect
of chain length on the dielectric and optical properties of
oligothiophenes," Synth. Met.
2011, 161, 1566-1574.
13. W.A. Sears, C.D. MacKinnon, R.C. Mawhinney, L.C.
Sinnemaki, M.J. Johnson, A.J. Winter, and C.M. Robertson, "Using
the Nitro Group to Induce
π-Stacking in Terthiophenes," Can.
J. Chem. 2010, 88, 309-317.
12. I.S. Morgan, D.N. D’Aleo, M.L. Hudolin, A. Chen, A.
Assoud, H.A. Jenkins and C.D. MacKinnon, "Oligothiophenes
substituted with the thionitrile group: synthesis,
characterization, and thin-film formation on gold substrates," J. Mater. Chem. 2009, 19, 8162-8168.
11. C.D. MacKinnon, S.L.M. Parent, R.C. Mawhinney, A. Assoud, and C.M. Robertson, "5,5'-Dicyano-2,2'-bithiophene and 3,3'-dicyanobiphenyl: off-axis rod-like ligands for silver(I)," CrystEngComm 2009, 11, 160-167.
10. W.A. Sears, W.M. Sears, C.D. MacKinnon, "The Effect of
End-Group Substitution on the Electrical Conductivity of
Mesoporous Terthiophenes," Synth.
Met. 2008, 158, 50-58.
9. W.A. Sears, M.L. Hudolin, H.A. Jenkins, R.C. Mawhinney, C.D.
MacKinnon, "Crystallization of Ligand vs. Complexation:
the Nitrile-Silver(I) Interaction using Dicyanobithiophene as
Ligand," J. Coord. Chem. 2008, 61,
For a list of all papers and conference presentations, click here!
Last updated, March 24, 201 4
Page maintained by Craig MacKinnon